ILEP’S MEMBER ASSOCIATIONS ARE WORKING
TOGETHER FOR A WORLD FREE FROM LEPROSY
Established in 1996, NLR India envisions a country free of suffering due to leprosy, disabilities and social exclusion that it causes. NLR India works in collaboration and cooperation from central and state governments, donors, private companies, NGOs including Disabled People Organisations to address and support the health systems in endemic states for persons affected by leprosy and their families. The organisation intends to ensure socio-economic rehabilitation for persons affected by disability and stigma due to leprosy. To achieve the objectives, NLR India implements its programmes and projects to support the government and community in achieving the three ‘ZEROS’ – Zero Transmission, Zero Disabilities and Zero Exclusion. The projects of NLR India are aimed towards supporting the implementation of the National Leprosy Eradication Program (NLEP) in early case detection, prevention of leprosy and management of disabilities through self-care. NLR India also works in the field of Disability Inclusive Development (DID), and Reduction of Stigma and Discrimination. Our cadre of NLEP Consultant & Leprosy Programme Advisors (NC&LPA) and Community Based Rehabilitation Coordinators (CBRCs), support the diagnosis, treatment, monitoring, and rehabilitation programmes for persons affected by leprosy and other disabilities. Through NC&LPA, NLR India also provides technical support to the NLEP.
NLR India works in 129 districts (59% of 220) of seven states, namely, Bihar (10), Delhi (11), Jharkhand (16), Rajasthan (33), Uttarakhand (13), Uttar Pradesh (35), and West Bengal (11) with one aim – until No Leprosy Remains. NLR India also works closely with 150 leprosy colonies in these states. Our dedicated employees support the rehabilitation programs for persons with disabilities due to leprosy, lymphatic filariasis and other causes.
NLR India primarily centres its programme/project activities through the following:
• Alignment with Government of India’s Programs and Initiatives
• Awareness and Sensitisation on Leprosy
• Capacity Building and mentoring
• Urban Leprosy Health Program; Combined Self Care, Healthcare Camps and Home-based Self Care
• Educational, Vocational and Livelihood Support, Community Development
• Disabled friendly villages and communities by creating model villages
• Innovative Research e.g. chemoprophylaxis for leprosy
NLR India facilitates and advocates the provision of services ranging from early leprosy case detection, leprosy prevention using Single Dose Rifampicin (SDR-PEP), diagnosis, treatment, management of reaction/ulcer, reconstructive surgeries, provision of aids & appliances and specialised footwear.
Stigma reduction and Gender equity are NLR India’s cross-cutting themes through which our teams empower the residents of leprosy colonies through:
• Self-Help groups (SHGs) and Self-Care groups (SCGs)
• Socio-psychological support and training to General Health Care (GHC) staff to further train the SCGs
• Addressing the Rights for Persons with Disabilities including women with disabilities
• Advocating research-based preventive measures for persons affected by leprosy
NLR India aspires for a country free of suffering caused by leprosy through comprehensive, sustainable and inclusive development programs encompassing prevention and cure for persons affected by leprosy. Through other programs like disability-inclusive development and disability care, NLR India works towards the real empowerment of persons affected by leprosy. Our annual budget hovers around INR 8 Cr.