Deformity due to leprosy might lead to disability further contributing to their stigma & discrimination. FAIRMED advocates and practices early diagnosis followed by prompt and uninterrupted medication to prevent deformity and disability. This doesn’t just include the index case, but also the contacts & children. Various activities were undertaken by FAIRMED India-supported hospitals and community-based projects to prevent deformity and disability. The various strategies and activities carried out by FAIRMED supported projects are:
- They are advocating and practicing early detection.
- A capacitated health care staff at the primary and secondary level health care to provide prompt services.
- We are ensuring gender sensitive service packages at primary and secondary level health care facilities.
- Facilitate the formation of self-care groups at the primary level.
- Supports designated tertiary care hospitals recognized by MoHFW, GoI, which provides free in-patient and out-patient services, including reconstructive surgeries and ulcer care, etc.
- Collaborate with the Central Leprosy Division (CLD) in promoting & advocating for disability prevention & medical rehabilitation (DPMR) activities.